Global pandemic is making us all spend most of our time at home. It is completely on us now how we make use of this time wisely and try to convert our home into a more sustainable and environment friendly living space. Engaging in certain behavioural changes, such as using renewable sources of energy and volunteering for community-level clean-up campaigns, or altering our consumption habits, are some of the simple ways which are not only easy to do but can certainly result in creating that tiny ripple from your end which can make huge positive impacts for our planet.
Here are 10 simple ways for adopting a more sustainable lifestyle at home:
- Use energy efficient lighting that reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Isn’t that a bright idea!
- Shop wisely! Make use of reusable shopping bags and let’s not bring plastic home.
- Choose non-toxic chemicals to clean your home and office spaces. Let’s protect our waterways too!
- Plant trees! Try to grow your own food. Spinach, tomato, mint, okra, lettuce, are some easy options to begin with.
- Use renewable sources of energy and do not forget to turn off the lights when you leave a room. Little things do matter!
- Reuse and recycle whatever you can. Conserve resources.
- Air dry your laundry. Avoid dryers, especially during the summers. Take help of mother nature!
- Eat local and seasonal produce. Mitigate harmful emissions resulting from transporting imported produce.
- Avoid disposable straws. Carry your own reusable water bottle. Bring your own cup to the coffee shop.
- Ditch the car and bike/walk more. Cut your carbon footprint. And don’t forget to wear a reusable and washable mask!
We hope these easy and simple ideas inspire you to adopt a sustainable lifestyle at home. And always remember — We do not inherit our environment and planet, we borrow it from our future generations!